The Mangalagauri temple in Gaya has been mentioned in Padma Purana,
Vayu Purana and Agni Purana and in other scriptures and tantric works. The
present temple dates back to 1459 AD. The shrine is dedicated to Shakti or
the mother Goddess in the predominantly Vaishnavite pilgrimage center of
Gaya. Mangalagauri is worshiped as the Goddess of benevolence. This temple
constitutes an Upa-Shakti Pitha - where it is believed that a part of the
body of Shakti fell - according to mythology. Here Shakti is worshiped in
the form of a breast symbol, a symbol of nourishment.
The temple is facing east, and is built on top of the Mangalagauri hill. A flight of steps and a motorable road lead to the temple. The sanctum houses the symbol of the Goddess and it also has some finely carved ancient relief sculptures. A small hall or mandap stands in front of the temple. The courtyard also houses a fire pit for the home. There are also two minor shrines dedicated to Shiva and images of Mahishasura Mardini, Durga and Dakshina Kali.